Monday, March 14, 2005

Passive-Aggressive

Today, I'm working on an annual report for the research arm of a large organization. It's all very hush-hush, so I can't give any more information. Or if I did, I'd have to kill you.


What gets me, though, is the fact that the entire 50-page report is written in the passive form. It feels like it's sucking my soul away, one unfocused sentence after another.

Which brings me to George Orwell. He once wrote 6 guidelines for good writing. The Economist, that shining beacon of style, lists them in its own Style Guide. I've got them printed out and tacked to the wall behind my monitors. Here they are:

· Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

· Never use a long word where a short one will do.

· If it is possible to cut out a word, always cut it out.

· Never use the passive where you can use the active.

· Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

· Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

I also own the StyleWriter, an absolutely marvelous virtual editor that takes forever to use, but offers some valuable guidance on tightening up my writing style. I've also got its edicts on plain writing tacked onto my wall:

  1. Plan and organize your material.
  2. Keep your average sentence length low.
  3. Use verbs to give your writing action.
  4. Make every word count.
  5. Use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
  6. Read and revise everything you write

I particularly like No. 4, which is a more positive variation on Strunck & White's terse command, "Omit needless words."

Another book I've found extremely useful was Style: Toward Clarity and Grace, by Joseph Williams. No matter how often I read it, I learn something new every time.

Update: I just ran the Economist's article on the SATs through the StyleWriter. It rated an "Average". Maybe I should try to get my money back...

No comments: