Friday, April 29, 2005

We Are The Champions

I'm gnawing my way through excruciatingly witty ad copy today. To get through some of the bumpier spots, I've been checking out the U.S. competitors. Suddenly, I realized a big difference between U.S. and German slogans that had always bothered me on a subconscious level.

All-American slogan: "Satisfying customers for 30 years!"
Typisch deutscher Werbespruch: "Mit Erfolg seit 30 Jahren!"*

Is it just me, or do German companies come off sounding like jerks?


*"Successful for 30 years!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My impression is that US firms are more focused on clients while Germans tend to overemphasize what *they* can do. You can see this behaviour in other areas of life, but in marketing this happens to be more obvious.

Trench Warrior said...

A famous translatologist once said, off the record, that factories and the factory lifestyle are an integral part of the German cultural landscape. As a result, there is a widespread perception that the service industry is a servile industry.

That doesn't apply as much as it probably used to, of course. But it's an interesting way of looking at the problem.