Sunday, April 10, 2005

My Final Exam

From the tangle of voices in the interpreter's booth, one thought tightened into a clear, hard knot: “Fuck this! No way in hell!”

I gently raised one hand, splayed out on the formica tabletop, and pressed it against my knee to stop the shaking. A moist, dirty palm print remained next to my homemade notepad and the five pens I had arranged carefully in a row before the speech began.

I leaned in to the microphone, like a biker rising up on his pedals, as if that small motion would get me through the text faster. I wanted nothing more desperately than to escape, to disappear. But where to?

In this cube-shaped booth, one entire side was made of glass. Looking through this window into the audience, I saw thirty headphoned heads nodding in unison after every sentence I finished. On one side of the room, my teachers were writing furiously in their notepads, variously frowning and smiling.

I was trapped.

Leaning forward even more, I closed my eyes and battered through the text, sentence by sentence. Suddenly, my headphones went silent, made a slight click, and then piped in a gentle voice: “That’s it. You can get up now.”

My legs trembled as I stumbled out of the booth. The door swung shut and I took in one shuddering breath after another. “Three more days,” I thought. “Three more days, two more exams, and then I never have to interpret again.” Behind a larger door ten feet distant sat thirty people, waiting to pat me on the back and tell me that in a few short days, I, too, would be a fully certified conference interpreter.

Only an hour previously, I would have smiled and agreed. To be an interpreter! The fame! The glory! And here I was, ready to give it up.

I squared my shoulders, and walked through the door.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going about it the wrong way. I thrive on simultaneous interpreting. I could go on all day.

What can I say - it energizes me. I also enjoyed every single exam I took. Sorry, but I relish this sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I didn't realize there was a right or wrong about this sort of thing. Interpreting, just like any other profession, simply isn't for everyone. Different folks need different stress levels to be happy, some like the rush in the booth, some don't. Good for you that you relish this job and actually get to do it. Not everyone is that lucky. (-:

Trench Warrior said...

Anonymous 1: You're not alone. Echoes of that attitude filter through every attempt to hire me as an interpreter. It's an alien concept to most people: why would anyone suffer through the training, climb up that steep learning curve, make it to the summit, only to sigh and give up?

Anonymous 2: Not everyone is that lucky, you're right. That's why I don't interpret.