Friday, April 01, 2005

Quips and Quiddities

"I'm outside Modena," W------ says. I've called her because a major account needs a translation into German. I don't work into German, but W------ does. In fact, she's been translating since I was in diapers.

"Modena?" I ask. "Where is Modena, anyway?"

"It's in Italy. Outside Bologna. You know where Bologna is?"

"No - I'm American, you know. I'm not supposed to know anything about geography."

Luckily, she laughs at this quip.

About a year ago, I wasn't so lucky. A client called, apoplectic, because I had written in one text that Allgäu was in Switzerland. And my quip failed utterly to make her laugh.

Yes, I now know it's not in Switzerland. But gimme a break, willya? I'm American. We're not supposed to know anything about geography.

No comments: