Wednesday, April 20, 2005

It's 3 AM. Do You Know Where Your Translator Is?

It's 11 at night, and I'm still not done. I'm not a night owl. But in a week when clients are jamming jobs down my gullet faster than I can chew, I'm lucky to get home at all. What kills me is that they're all important. New clients, potential clients, big accounts, big deals. I can safely turn down piss-ant press releases from huge multinationals. They're so big, they never even read what they write themselves, let alone what I write. Let someone else do them.

No, it's the small businesses calling this week. And they're the apples of my eye. When they call, I burn the midnight oil, stock up on dictionaries and agonize, agonize, agonize over my translations.

Of course, none of this makes any financial sense. With the big companies, I make more money. But they don't need me. And what's the point of doing this job if you don't feel needed? Fame?

No comments: