Saturday, May 14, 2005

My Scheduler

Since there are no project management applications just for freelance translators, I'’ve had to set up my own as an Excel table. It consists of three parts:

  1. A calendar (Columns A-H)
  2. A speed calculator (Columns I and J)
  3. A notes section (Columns K-ZZZ)

The calendar section turns blue when you enter a number in it. Take B21, for example. I have a job that I want to finish on Monday by 6 p.m. So I enter 209 lines (the number of lines for the job) and set aside the next hour for proofreading. The job propagates up through the table until it reaches zero.

It also warns you if you have a scheduling conflict. In E23, I'’ve inserted a job, but it overlaps with the next job down. I’'ll have to fix this later.

The Lines and Speed columns tell me if I'’m translating fast enough to make my deadlines. In the calendar, my target rate is 20 lines per half-hour. In the speed column, I've set down 25 lines per half hour. The extra 5 lines per half-hour is my planning slack.

In this case, I translated fast enough from 11:00 to 11:30, but was a little slow from 11:30 to 12:30. I did fine from 2:00 to 2:30, but I obviously was distracted or really slow from 2:30 to 3:00.

The Notes section begins at column K. I use a formula to calculate the number of lines I have left based on a character count. I also enter any pending quotes so I don'’t book time I'’ve agreed to reserve provisionally for another client.

Warning:
You can't drag and drop cells or move entire columns back and forth because of the scheduling conflict formula I had to use. Other than that, this little spreadsheet does almost everything I want.


My Schedule

If you're interested in using it for yourself, e-mail me your Yahoo address. I've got it in my Briefcase, but I need a Yahoo handle to share it. If you're in a rush, just add a comment telling me you've sent me an e-mail. I'll be sure to check my e-mail then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very impressive! How I feel stuck in the XXth century with my method: calendar and red pen to scribble deadlines and client names, and the occasional word count to see if I can take a break or not. Note to self: learn how to make the most of all the wonderful IT tools I have at my disposal.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of converting the Word document I use to an Excel sheet but never quite got around to it. This looks excellent, would appreciate a copy when you have a minute (no rush).

Trench Warrior said...

Céline: Feel free to send me your Yahoo handle and I'll share it with you. It's pretty, but not that complicated.